Experience design (XD) is the practice of designing products, processes, services, events, omnichannel journeys, and environments with a focus placed on the quality of the user experience and culturally relevant solutions.
Every single customer touchpoint influences the way consumers feel about what you’re offering. Experiential design is the art and science of shaping these moments so that people walk away feeling good about your brand.
Five Categories of Experiential Design
There are five major categories of experiential design
- Exhibition Design: A hybrid of storytelling and environment. Often found in museums and art galleries.
- Environmental Graphics: Messages, information, or imagery that’s attuned to the environment it’s displayed in.
- Entertainment: Concerts and events rule this category. These experiences scale from small to very big.
- Marketing: Sensory experiences like Times Square in NYC. Guerilla marketing, and product experiences and launches.
- Placemaking: Public installations and landmarks which define the space around us.