Smart transportation segment evolution passing a long story of improvements, more or less popular in media. The first place touches commercial electric engine vehicles, for instance, electric cars and electric buses. The second-place takes the rest of transportation options with a more complex infrastructure of those, that use rail, road, water, or air to move. Smart transportation is one of the most discussed areas of smart cities. It is the closest segment to citizen’s comfort.
Importance of Smart Transportation Systems
The most discussing problems of smart transportation relate to environmental politics. The effect of carbon emissions from vehicles has reached abnormal levels. Vehicles produce carbon emissions into our environment while leaving us exposed to pollution and greenhouse gases. Thanks to the smart mobility idea and its smart transportation traffic control with a shift to electric cars can reduce the effect altogether.
The focus areas of Smart Transportation Systems
Traffic control of all types of vehicles combines installations of electronic devices in a vehicle with systematic infrastructure upgrades. For example traffic lights, video systems, and digital sensors. On the other side, the mission control collects traffic data that improves transportation effectivity by various autonomous simulations. Moreover, based on these data control the quality of the traffic service.
The transportation segment contains thousands of electrical, mechanical, software parts, but also manual interaction components. In fact, these components process chain must be ideally synchronized. Such sync allows managing devices interactions while sending the global traffic data to a city mission control center for evaluation.
Smart Transportation Types
Smart Transportation Components
These components interaction is required to manage the improvement of Smart Transportation industry:
- urban, people, passengers
- government, infrastructure, public
- sprawl, cable
- airports, airway, stations
- railway, railways, trains, train
- aircraft, helicopter, aviation,
- watercraft, boats
- human-powered, scooters, bicycles
- a vehicle, taxi, electric bus, electric car, buses, trucks
- logistics, containerization, freight, shipping, planning
- ecology, pollution
- development, engineering, design, user interaction
Trending in Smart Traffic and Mobility
- Electric engine and its environmental positives are an alternative to internal combustion engines.
- Smart range indicators that alert drivers about events around him and his vehicle.
- Positioning Systems (GPS, GLONASS) satellite navigation system that provides geographical position.
- User Interface (UI) research and experience how users interact with the computer, device, and software.
- Hybrid vehicles that integrate a small battery and an electric motor to improve the impact of vehicles on the environment.
- Power charging station integration to common infrastructure.
- Telematics integration to a computer, and mobile devices.
- Wearables and the Internet of Things allow getting the deepest insides about the Smart Cities’ behavior.
- Decreasing trends and effective mechanisms to no traffic jam mission of cities.