Save Soil is a global movement launched by Sadhguru to address the soil crisis by bringing together people from around the world to stand up for Soil Health and supporting leaders of all nations to institute national policies and actions toward increasing the organic content in cultivable Soil.
Save Soil describes the Crisis
Lack of organic content turns Soil into the sand, leading to:
- Food crisis – In 20 years, 40% less food is expected to be produced for 9.3 billion people. Poor Soil leads to poor nutritional value. Today’s fruits and vegetables already contain 90% fewer nutrients. Two billion people suffer from nutritional deficiencies leading to a multitude of diseases.
- Water scarcity – Depleted soils cannot absorb and regulate water flows. Lack of water retention leads to water scarcity, droughts & floods. Organic matter can hold up to 90% of its weight in water and release it slowly over time. This is a big help in drought-prone areas.
- Loss of biodiversity – Scientists say that around 27000 species of life forms are becoming extinct every year due to loss of habitat. The Crisis has reached 80% of the insect biomass has gone. Loss of biodiversity further disrupts the soil habitat and prevents soil regeneration.
- Climate change – Carbon stored in Soil is 3x that in living plants and 2x that in the atmosphere, which means Soil is crucial for carbon sequestration. If the world’s soils are not revitalized, they could release 850 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere contributing to climate change. This is more than all of humanity’s emissions in the last 30 years combined.
- Loss of livelihood – Thousands of farmers is committing suicide due to the depletion of Soil. 74% of the poor are directly affected by land degradation globally. It is estimated that soil extinction is costing the world up to US$ 10.6 trillion every year.
- Conflict and migration – Population growth and food and water scarcity could cause over 1 billion to migrate to other regions and countries by 2050. Land issues have played a significant role in over 90% of major wars and conflicts in Africa since 1990. From the French Revolution to the Arab Spring, high food prices have been cited as a factor behind mass protest movements.
Save Soil describes the Solution
Bring back at least 3-6% of Organic content in the Soil. By bringing the land under shade from vegetation & enriching the Soil through plant litter and animal waste.
We can solve it simply: Soil health needs supportive policies in every nation. Policies need people’s support. People’s support needs awareness.
Take the message to 3.5 Billion people, 60% of the world’s electorate.
Sadhguru’s approach to Save Soil support
Sadhguru will be embarking on a journey to meet citizens, leaders, and experts as a lone motorcyclist covering 30,000 km across 25 nations from the United Kingdom to India in 100 days.
Sadhguru’s voice in the project
Soil extinction is not just another ecological challenge. It is an existential threat. If we do the right things now, we can significantly turn this situation around and regenerate the Soil in the next 15-25 years.– Sadhguru
The SaveSoil Movement is not only about the environment. It is a way to cultivate ourselves as human beings to blossom into our fullest potential as a united Humanity. Let’s make it happen. – Sadhguru
The magic of Soil lies in its ability to accept what is planted into it and turn it into a new life. Only when such acceptance enters people’s minds, and hearts will real change manifest in the world. – Sadhguru
For the next 100 days, the world must reverberate with one energy with one purpose: to #SaveSoil. For every little step you take to make this happen, I will be with you. Talk soil, Sing Soil, Breathe Soil, Live Soil. Save Soil. Let’s make it happen. Be with me. Blessings. – Sadhguru
If Life has to flourish on this planet, it has to flourish beneath our feet because that is where the foundation of our Life is. SaveSoil. – Sadhguru
The greatest empowerment we have as citizens of a democratic nation is our vote & our voice. We must use this to ensure that a legacy of healthy Soil is enshrined in the policy of every nation. #SaveSoil. Let’s make it happen.
If we truly want to inspire our children to do the right things in the world, we must set an example for them by being conscious human beings. This is the highest expression of our responsibility to the next generation. SaveSoil. Let’s make it happen. – Sadhguru
If we do not act now to resuscitate our dying Soil, we are heading toward a crisis the world has never seen. It is within our reach to turn back from the brink of disaster, so let’s make it happen. – Sadhguru
In a democratic nation, people like you and me have become lawmakers. If we express to our leadership our concern, will, and commitment to #SaveSoil, no government can ignore that. Let’s make it happen. – Sadhguru
Voicing a unified global commitment to #SaveSoil is the most critical need of the hour. If we don’t speak up now, what we will leave behind is an unbearable tragedy for every Life on the planet. Let’s make it happen. – Sadhguru
The time has come for the entire world to speak about Soil. We must ensure that a voice of concern and commitment echoes in every government worldwide. This is the need of the hour. #SaveSoil. Let Us Make It Happen – Sadhguru
Usually, I don’t participate in About Smart Cities editorial board activities, but I would like to personally support this initiative. I attended Sadhguru’s panel discussion in Prague during his European road trip. Initiative leading to increasing people’s awareness and consciously serve with our planet. It’s exactly what we are trying to help via our company mission. Good luck and a lot of support!
Laco Vencel (CEO, Smart City Enterprise)